1.0 SUMMARY OF 5G TECHNOLOGY ISSUES AND BACKGROUND
- 5G wireless radiation is microwave radiation, also classed as radio frequency (RF) or electromagnetic (EM) radiation. Its transmission frequencies range from low band (approx 700MHz) to Millimetre Wave (approx 24-28GHz and higher is planned). 60GHz is already in use for WiGig.
The term 5G covers both the augmentation of 4G within the same sub 3.8Ghz spectrum, and also the proposed mmWave small cell systems that operate in bands from 6-90GHz. Any polarised waveform triggers biological stress, but the mmWave can be particularly harmful, and the increase in overall radiation is unacceptable.
RFR signals are highly pulsed and variable. This can cause cellular DNA damage, as a result of oxidative stress, and the breakdown of other cellular mechanisms and homeostasis. This is a factor in cancer in humans and other species. Living organisms will constantly work to restore balance to their systems but this is devitalising and comes at a price, especially when dealing with a long-term chronic assault.
The 20-year-old safety guidelines were updated in 2020 but are still based on a methodology defined in 1996, and are recommended by a discredited committee, ICNIRP, and also by Public Health England who are advised by ICNIRP. They are flawed as they only take into account biological effects at a very high dose (56 V/m), and for short duration. The effects are also incorrectly attributed to heating – cancer is not caused by heat. This goes back to the Schwann heating fallacy from the 1950’s.
- A 2013 European Commission document warned that relevant EMF exposures (not just ‘over- exposures’) might cause the following symptoms (**QUESTION** which document? I can’t find it FYI)
- Hearing clicking, buzzing or hissing noises
- Increased body temperature of only a few degrees leading to mental confusion, fatigue, headache and other symptoms of heat stress.
- Localised heating or ‘hot spots’ in muscles or internal organs
- Skin pain and burns.
- Cataracts which can take weeks or months to develop.
- A temporary lowering of sperm count
- Increased risk of miscarriage in early pregnancy.
- Interference with active implanted or body worn medical devices. Passive medical implants that are metallic may serve as absorbing antennas resulting in local increases in RF exposure of tissues and possible injury.
- In 2018, a European Commission Scientific Committee on Health, Environment and Emerging Risks, SCHEER, warned “The lack of clear evidence to inform the development of exposure guidelines to 5G technology leaves open the possibility of unintended biological consequences.”
- May 2011 IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer) classifies radiofrequency electromagnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans
- Leading researcher Joel Moskowitz “We Have No Reason to Believe 5G Is Safe”
- The rush towards this immature technology, without proof of safety under long term exposure, is baffling.
The director of European communications security watchdog, ENISA, warned that 5G had not been designed with security in mind, making it impossible to have efficient security. IT professionals are now advising people to use wired internet connections because they are faster as well as being more secure.
Leading privacy campaigners, Privacy International, had firm reservations on 5G.
Campaign group BigBrotherWatch outlined how UK police have been using indiscriminate facial recognition without due legal basis or scrutiny – and have highlighted how 98% of facial ‘matches’ by the Met Police have actually identified the wrong people! Investigative IT website The Register highlighted how 5G was being developed for this in the UK (using public funds) and China.
There may also be a threat to public security through dependence on technology for 5G from Huawei, a company legally obliged to help the undemocratic Chinese government in intelligence gathering if asked.
Steve Purser, a director of European communications security watchdog, ENISA, warned that the 5G technology had not been designed with security in mind, making it impossible to have “efficient security”.
The threat to our personal freedom and data security is already being seen in the debate about whether to approve tracking apps for the purposes of Covid-19.
Channel 4 news Friday 27th March 2020: “This is where we as humanity decide – do we choose personal freedom?”
Regarding our humanity and the sovereignty of nature, see this UK report. Do we really aspire to such dystopia and disconnection, is there even a problem to fix?
UK Agricultural Productivity Working Group
Page 32: In order to harness the full potential of precision technology, robotics and autonomous systems, 5G coverage across the whole of the UK is a must. The robotics case study (Case Study 5) of this report emphasises the need for this level of coverage. The APWG endorses the work of 5Gruralfirst.
The government wants new 5G wireless technology rolled out to the whole country before 2027. This will have a massive effect on everybody’s lives and we were not asked if this was what we wanted when big decisions were made.
Industry websites observe that commercial demand isn’t really there and regard it as hyped ‘jam tomorrow’ technology. In 2017, the UK government appeared to agree, admitting “…the business case for the investment required for the deployment of 5G is not yet established….” Several reservations have been expressed on the justification and value for taxpayers’ money in promoting 5G if demand isn’t really there. (Next Generation Mobile Technologies: A 5G Strategy for the UK, p8/9)
- Industry Committee review for the case for 5G: business case – weak, safety – very poor, privacy – weak.
Next Generation Mobile Technologies: A 5G Strategy for the UK
- This paper highlights the hype surrounding 5G; the poor business case, the need for scientific research on parts of the 5G set up; and the need to take “a long view” on 5G.
IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS Requested by the ITRE committee: 5G Deployment State of Play in Europe, USA and Asia.